Sharp eye for detail
Kind and approachable
Services and Rates
I have edited everything from poetry and erotic fiction to heavily academic texts (including dissertations, academic monographs, and papers from the undergraduate level through publication in peer-reviewed journals). I am an insightful, detail-oriented editor with citation-wizard formatting skills and a secret identity as a research assistant that means you have the potential of hiring me as both editor and assistant. I am a queer theory, feminist theory, critical race theory, crip theory, gender theory, lit theory, porn studies, graphic novel, high fantasy, sci fi, poetry, fairy tale, mythology nerd and I will bring my sharp eye and many areas of expertise when I engage with your work. But I am also, and primarily, a self-care coach and a narrative coach. I will not, ever, contribute to the harsh critiques and creativity-crushing dismissals that every writer has faced in their journey.
Your voice – creative, academic, poetic – has value. I frame my edits with an awareness of the impact words can have. You are a writer. Your writing has value. We enter our editor-writer contract with that as a fundamental and irrefutable fact.
- Comprehensive review of the text
- Compassionate commentary on what works, what is effective, what works less well, and what could be changed to improve the text
Basic Copy Editing
- Correcting spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Correcting incorrect word use (the dreaded affect/effect!)
- Checking consistency in spelling, hyphenation, fonts, capitalization, and numerals
- Commentary to highlight conflicting statements
- Commentary to highlight what works well and is effective
- All basic copy editing
- Formatting for structural consistency (Correcting things like capitalized headings over here, italics over there)
- Checking for consistency in vocabulary and terms
- Checking for continuity of plot, setting, and character, and commentary to highlight inconsistencies
- Smoothing out the authorial voice in a text with multiple authors
- Commentary with suggestions for improving flow and readability
- Commentary with suggested solutions for noted issue
Academic double feature (editing and research checking)
- All basic and substantial copy editing
- Formatting for academic citation style (MLA, APA, etc.), including:
- Parenthetical citations
- Title page and header/footer, if required
- Optional research assistance prior to editing (available in English, Sociology, Gender Studies, Media Studies, Queer Theory, Feminist Theory, Trans Theory, Disability Theory):
- Bibliography review
- Assistance finding additional sources
- Consultation on cohesiveness and internal integrity of the theory
- Consultation on structure and persuasiveness of the text
My lengthy thesis was multidisciplinary and not the standard format but this not deter Tiffany at all. She clarified expectations beforehand, took it upon herself to do research in order familiarize herself with my topic, and still managed to meet my strict timeline and stay within my modest budget. Her attention to detail and knowledge of formatting styles was unwavering. Her comments were specific and clear and often provided tips and suggestions to help me clarify arguments and weave my thesis together as a whole. Highly recommended!”
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you offer discounts?
Additionally, every time you attend one of my writing workshops or sign up for an online writing workshop, you receive 5% off editing services. These can be stacked, up to 75% off a single service.
Do you work with new writers?
What academic citation styles are you experienced in?
Will you edit an academic paper without doing any research?
I can give you an estimate for how long your academic text will take once you send me the word count, an idea of the content type, and a sample of both text and bibliography. From there, I can determine how much editing and formatting will be involved, and will send you a quote.
A 5-8-page undergrad paper in English, Humanities, or Sociology, for example, could take as little as 45 minutes if there is not substantial formatting involved, or as much as 2 hours if there is significant formatting and editing.
Are you a published writer? Has any of the work you've edited been published?
You can find my work in quite a few places on the internet, and I co-authored a chapter in the 2016 Routledge Companion to Global Popular Culture, based on research during my undergrad at the University of Calgary.
I have also edited multiple academic monographs that have been published, and multiple papers that have been published in peer-reviewed journals. (My favourite is ““I’m in Neuroplastic Heaven”: Putting the Dollhouse in the
Context of Modern Neuroscience,” published in the summer 2016 edition Slayage. Link shared with the author’s permission.)